Director – Fontes Foundation Uganda
…do you want to grow your leadership and team-building skills?
…do you want to make a real impact on reducing youth unemployment in Uganda?
…do you want to take Fontes Foundation to the next level and move towards a social enterprise model?
…do you want to work with passionate and committed individuals in an international network?
…do you like to be creative, innovative and see things happen?
Then you might be the one we are looking for!
Fontes Foundation is looking for a highly reliable, responsible and motivated person with a strong interest in youth empowerment. He/she must present excellent organisation skills as well as great interpersonal skills.
The Director is responsible for the overall management of the organization including all the projects in Uganda as well as its staff. This includes financial management (accountability, budgeting, and taxes), strategic planning, fundraising, project management (planning, implementation and reporting), human resources as well as donor, public and stakeholder relations.
Application deadline: 15.01.2019
About Fontes Foundation
Fontes Foundation Uganda is the executing arm of Fontes Foundation, registered in Norway. Fontes Foundation has been active in Uganda since 2003 and started out in the water sector where we trained community groups in basic business management so they could manage their small piped water schemes. Since 2012 Fontes has been active in youth empowerment, mainly through a youth centre in Bunga providing skills to disadvantaged youth. Since 2019 Fontes is a partner in Refactory, an innovative skilling programme for youth interested in a tech career. Refactory and the Youth Centre are currently the main two projects at Fontes Foundaion, which consists of a small team at the head office (3-4 staff) as well as 12-15 staff at the youth centre (most are part-time facilitators).
The Director reports to the Board of Directors of Fontes Foundation Uganda, but also works closely with the Director of Fontes Foundation in Norway, which is responsible for most of the fundraising. The Director will receive coaching and continuous follow up from the Chairperson of the Board.
Starting salary: UGX 7.5 – 8.5m gross.
- Oversee staff and optimize their output by listening to – and supporting- them as well as creating an optimal culture for effective team work.
- Constantly think of ways to improve the NGO’s work through innovation, synergies with partners, restructuring and moving towards a social enterprise model.
- Ensure staff are motivated, engaged, followed up and know their priorities and tasks at any one time.
- Ensure there is a working culture that reflects the vision, mission and values of the organisation: long-term and out-of-the-box thinking, constant learning, honesty, transparency, responsibility, and efficiency.
- Ensure that project activities are implemented on time and activities are adequately reported.
- Overall responsibility for the financial health of the NGO and raising financial concerns early.
- Support Fontes Foundation Norway in fundraising efforts such as proposal writing and carry out local fundraising to expand the organisation’s work.
- Represent Fontes Foundation to other stakeholders at events and ensure there is social media coverage.
- Be passionate about helping vulnerable communities.
Skills and experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 3-4 years of work experience.
- Experience working in effective teams.
- Experience in execution of projects and project activities.
- Passionate about reducing youth unemployment in Uganda.
- Excellent communications skills (both written and verbal).
- Organized and able to follow through and prioritize tasks.
- Self-starter who takes initiatives and sees opportunities.
- Experience from the IT sector or education sector is an added advantage.
- Experience with financial management such as project accounts, budgets, financial planning and financial reporting.
- Excellent written and oral English skills.
- Are you the one we are looking for?