…do you want to grow your leadership and team-building skills?
…do you want to make a real impact on reducing youth unemployment in Uganda?
…do you want to join Refactory leadership team and be part of shaping an highly innovative tech programme?
…do you want to take Fontes Foundation to the next level and move significant parts of the organization towards a social enterprise model?
…do you want to work with passionate and committed individuals in an international network?
…do you like to be creative, innovative and see things happen?
Then you might be the one we are looking for!
Fontes Foundation is looking for a highly reliable, responsible and motivated person with a strong interest in youth empowerment and who takes the initiative. He/she must present excellent organisation skills as well as great interpersonal skills.
The Director is responsible for the overall management of the organization including all the projects in Uganda, international contacts, as well as its staff. This includes financial management (accountability, budgeting, and taxes), strategic planning, fundraising, project management (planning, implementation and reporting), human resources as well as donor, public and stakeholder relations. The Director will also join the leadership team of Refactory and be directly involved in coordinating programme activities as well as managing partnerships.
Application deadline: 06.01.2020
About Fontes Foundation
Fontes Foundation Uganda is the executing arm of Fontes Foundation, registered in Norway. Fontes Foundation has been active in Uganda since 2003 and started out in the water sector where we trained community groups in basic business management so they could manage their small piped water schemes. Since 2012 Fontes has been active in youth empowerment, mainly through a youth centre in Bunga providing skills to disadvantaged youth. Since 2019 Fontes is a partner in Refactory, an innovative skilling programme for youth interested in a tech career. It also equips motivated young people who have a passion for tech with software development as well as personal leadership skills to adress the current gap between clients’ standards and conventional education. Refactory and the Youth Centre are currently the main two projects at Fontes Foundaion, which consists of a small team at the head office (3-4 staff) as well as 12-15 staff at the youth centre (most are part-time facilitators).
The Director reports to the Board of Directors of Fontes Foundation Uganda, but also works closely with the Director of Fontes Foundation in Norway, which is responsible for most of the fundraising. The Director will receive coaching and continuous follow up from the Chairperson of the Board.
Starting salary: UGX 7.5 – 8.5m gross.
- Oversee staff and optimize their output by listening to – and supporting- them as well as creating an optimal culture for effective team work.
- Constantly think of ways to improve the NGO’s work through innovation, synergies with partners, restructuring and creating an environment for a social enterprise model.
- Ensure staff are motivated, engaged, followed up and know their priorities and tasks at any one time.
- Ensure there is a working culture that reflects the vision, mission and values of the organisation: long-term and out-of-the-box thinking, constant learning, honesty, transparency, responsibility, and efficiency.
- Ensure that project activities are implemented on time and activities are adequately reported.
- Ensure the implementation of Refactory remains in line with the grant agreement.
- Overall responsibility for the financial health of the NGO and raising financial concerns early.
- Support Fontes Foundation Norway in fundraising efforts such as proposal writing and carry out local fundraising to expand the organisation’s work.
- Represent Fontes Foundation to other stakeholders at events and ensure there is social media coverage.
- Be passionate about helping vulnerable communities.
Skills and experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum 3-4 years of work experience.
- Having been a team member but also having led a team.
- Experience in execution of projects and project activities.
- Passionate about reducing youth unemployment in Uganda.
- Excellent communications skills (both written and verbal).
- Organized and able to follow up and prioritize tasks.
- Self-starter who takes initiatives and sees opportunities.
- Experience from the IT sector or education sector is an added advantage.
- Experience with financial management such as project accounts, budgets, financial planning and financial reporting.
- Excellent written and oral English skills.
- Are you the one we are looking for?